I'm not a big supporter of our wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and I've learned not to glorify military service, which often ends very badly, but I have to say: It's always interested me that when Britain is at war, the kids of the royal family are sent to fight, too. It's an ancient tradition, I guess, but it still goes on -- and it's very different from the United States. Here, people with names like Bush don't go to Vietnam; they get a cush job with the National Guard. Or if their name is Cheney they're just too busy. Any chance at all the the daughters of the president who sent thousands of others to die in the desert would be called to active duty? Nah; they're out partying.
You think maybe presidents and members of Congress would feel a little differently about these pointless military engagements if their own kids were flying the planes?
Most Commented On
- How are you supposed to adapt - May 22, 2013
- I see nothing wrong with - May 22, 2013
- JW, you might want to take a step back. - May 22, 2013
- no, no. you're repulsive AND - May 22, 2013
- Jonny = ex scab labor - May 22, 2013
- Ladies and Gentleman, fascism - May 22, 2013
- OMG, you mean that the police sometimes have to use force to - May 22, 2013
- No Hysteria - May 22, 2013
- asking this question makes him a bigot? - May 22, 2013
- can't have your gluten-free - May 22, 2013