I knew that Republicans have gotten pretty loony these days, but gubernatorial hopeful Steve Poizner was downright scary in his debate with Meg Whitman yesterday, threatening to create racial unrest and bankrupt the state in the name of being more conservative-than-thou.
He wants to deny all public services to undocumented immigrants and chided Whitman for not currently supporting Prop. 187, the 1994 measure that was struck down by the courts as unconstitutional. And after correctly saying California was “on the brink of economic collapse,” he went on promote that collapse by calling for a 10 percent reduction in sales, corporate, and income taxes, which really would bankrupt a state government that is already wrestling with a multi-billion-dollar budget deficit.
Now, I know that he’s pandering to the right-wing lunatic fringe of California, where Republicans are less than a third of voters and shrinking, and they’re all riled up these days from drinking too much Fox-brewed tea. But damn, this guy has really lost his mind.
Most Commented On
- nope, I meant apostrophes - June 19, 2013
- Back to reality, anon guest. - June 19, 2013
- No, Marcos, an ideology that cannot tolerate dissent, nor - June 19, 2013
- Any chance you'll post your - June 19, 2013
- compensation - June 19, 2013
- In the same way that Redmond - June 19, 2013
- I think "Admin" meant "quotes" and not "apostrophes". - June 19, 2013
- I wouldn't say that the Progressives had many "admirable wins". - June 19, 2013
- Every politician understands the need for co-operation and - June 19, 2013
- I think you're in the wrong thread - June 19, 2013