Not even sure if "amazing" is a strong enough word, but the Castro Theatre is screening a pair of cool-ass movies on 35mm tonight. Frankly, I don't think you have anything better to do, because there isn't anything better than a WARREN OATES movie except maybe a WARREN OATES DOUBLE FEATURE.
Kicking things off at 7pm, it's Sam Peckinpah's Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974). Oates plays a perpetually rumpled bartender whose determination to collect a huge bounty (the prize: see title) leads him into some mighty surreal adventures in Mexico's sinister outback. Co-stars include Kris Kristofferson (in particularly kreepy mode).
Next up, at 9:05pm, is the greatest road movie ever made, Monte Hellman's Two-Lane Blacktop (1971). Oates plays G.T.O., which is what I'll be naming my hypothetical third child. (My first kid, of course, would be called Warren Oates; the second would be Harry Dean Stanton. Obvi.) The Red Vic (RIP) used to show Two-Lane Blacktop all the time, so head out tonight, first to see a wonderful movie, but also to thank the Castro for filling the two-lane void.
Most Commented On
- ZorXKHfMVRAbXjsliWHl - April 17, 2014
- The 1% who show appropriately-inclined political awareness - April 17, 2014
- SUWuATYEkamHLZXbf - April 17, 2014
- Kind of funny how they have - April 17, 2014
- I don't fault her for not - April 17, 2014
- Fair enough. Partial kudos to - April 17, 2014
- No, what she should do is risk her life to save others - April 17, 2014
- No she did what she was supposed to - April 17, 2014
- the spell caster that help bring my ex back - April 17, 2014
- i need a cured in hiv - April 17, 2014