In many ways, San Francisco hasn't changed. It's still the old Barbary Coast, ruled by capitalist thugs and corrupt politicians, only with glossy modern spin
Throughout his political career, Yee has carried water for Pacific Gas & Electric, perhaps the most corrupting contributor to political campaigns in the city's history. PG&E's influence at City Hall had thankfully waned in recent years as a result of overreach and deadly criminal negligence, until Lee and his appointees last year killed CleanPowerSF (see "Challenge Mayor Lee and his lies," 9/17/13) on a pretext so thin it could only be gift to PG&E.
In many ways, San Francisco hasn't changed. It's still the old Barbary Coast, ruled by capitalist thugs and corrupt politicians, only with glossy modern spin created by armies of well-paid political consultants. But we all deserve better.
Yee and Jackson should go to prison if there’s even a slice of truth to the allegations against them. And maybe they’ll cut deals and take other political figures down with them, giving us more of a peek behind the curtain of political power. But it’s up to all of us to break the close ties between economic and political power and begin to restore the democratic power of everyday people.
Most Commented On
- Uber’s secret, “proprietary” insurance policy leaked - July 29, 2014
- We can also help by not using drugs. - July 29, 2014
- Sadly, new journalism appears to be little more than reading - July 29, 2014
- I'm sure Steven - July 29, 2014
- Gawker - July 29, 2014
- Um...was there ANY effort in this article - July 29, 2014
- great reporting, Joe - July 29, 2014
- Small Business Awards 2013: La Victoria Bakery - July 29, 2014
- Have you polled people in SF to see what percentage of them give - July 29, 2014
- spelling! - July 29, 2014