Facebook is binary no more.
The social media company announced via its Facebook Diversity page that profiles will now allow for a custom gender choice, a change long sought by transgender rights activists.
Traditional social networking (and even dating) websites mostly allow only the choice of male and female. But now Facebook has functionality to add multiple gender identifiers under a customizable text menu. The change was brought about through a collaboration with a number of LGBT advocacy groups, including GLAAD.
"This new feature is a step forward in recognizing transgender people and allows them to tell their authentic story in their own words," said GLAAD President Sarah Kate Ellis, in an announcement on their website.
The new function has up to ten variable gender options: transgender, cisgender, androgynous, genderqueen, neutral, and others. The list will be added to in the future, GLAAD said.
Most Commented On
- ZorXKHfMVRAbXjsliWHl - April 17, 2014
- The 1% who show appropriately-inclined political awareness - April 17, 2014
- SUWuATYEkamHLZXbf - April 17, 2014
- Kind of funny how they have - April 17, 2014
- I don't fault her for not - April 17, 2014
- Fair enough. Partial kudos to - April 17, 2014
- No, what she should do is risk her life to save others - April 17, 2014
- No she did what she was supposed to - April 17, 2014
- the spell caster that help bring my ex back - April 17, 2014
- i need a cured in hiv - April 17, 2014