Steve McQueen's brutal, stunning '12 Years a Slave'
There's one false note in 12 Years a Slave, so glaring it deserves a mention. The film is full of recognizable faces; parts played by big stars like Giamatti and Alfre Woodard amount to little more than cameos. But the last-act appearance of Brad Pitt (as an enlightened, worldly builder) proves a jarring intrusion. Pragmatically, perhaps it was worth it; Ejiofor has said in interviews that the megastar's involvement helped the film get made. But that doesn't mean it's not completely distracting. *
12 YEARS A SLAVE opens Fri/1 in Bay Area theaters.
Most Commented On
- the man that help me get my ex back to me - December 4, 2013
- Do Your Own Work - December 4, 2013
- Suspending Judgment - December 4, 2013
- Like all the other biggest genre's at one time - December 4, 2013
- Got kind of excited about - December 4, 2013
- Madonna was from Detroit as well. - December 4, 2013
- don't forget techno! - December 4, 2013
- Spinning, spinning, spinning. - December 4, 2013
- Cars, Motown, Eminem, Lions, Tigers, Red Wings, Pistons. - December 4, 2013
- Unreasonable - December 4, 2013